Image Map

No Bake Cheesecake with Homemade Strawberry Topping


Psst! Come a little closer. Can you see it? Isn't she a beauty?

Click on one of the pictures and look again.

Do you see that oozing strawberry sauce? So luscious.

And that fluffy cheesecake underneath? It's no bake. It's easy.  It's oh-so creamy.

This is the ultimate no-bake cheesecake with strawberry topping (ever).

And the best part? There's no fussiness working with gelatine.

The secret to holding it's shape? It's Greek yogurt.

And the no baking part? That also includes the crust.



Light. Creamy. Velvety.

I should probably call this Velvety No Bake Cheesecake.

But luscious, divine, and heavenly fit just as well. :-)

Whatever the name, this is definitely a recipe to try!

This has been my go-to recipe ever since it popped up in my inbox last summer. I make this for just about every function and I never have any leftovers.

And this cheesecake always gets lots and lots of compliments. 

The best one came from my husband's boss. He just kept nodding his head and couldn't find the words to explain how good it tasted. :-)






This recipe comes from the wonderful Sarah Carey over at Everyday Food. After having watched her video, I knew that I had to make it asap.

Each time I prepare the filling, I love hearing the clatter of the egg beaters inside the glass bowl. I like watching this masterpiece (yes, a masterpiece) come together into one creamy, smooth, ivory mass; and when I pour it onto the crust, it feels like one giant fluffy cloud.

And when it's topped with the red sauce, oh my, what a looker! The cheesecake is so beautiful that I always admire it for a few moments before cutting into it. :-)

Now, this part you can skip, if you wish, and head right down to the recipe. :-) Here, I'll explain why I adapted the recipe a bit. The recipe below will include both North American and European measurements and ingredients. :-) 

I have adapted the original recipe with ingredients that are readily available in Germany. The minor adaptations are as follows:
  • I strain the cream cheese for several hours or over night before using. The cream cheese found in Germany is much softer than the one in North America, so I try to remove as much liquid as possible so I don't get a runny cake.

  • I add a tablespoon of cornstarch to the batter. This helps firm up the batter when it sets and there is no taste of cornstarch in the batter.

  • I use 3/4 cup (200 ml or 200 g) of cream instead of one cup. Cream is sold in 200 grams (3/4 cup) tretra paks or in 500 grams (pint size) plastic bottles. I use the smaller one so I don't have any cream left over. This doesn't affect the creaminess at all.

  • I use vanilla sugar instead of the extract. Vanilla sugar is more readily available in Germany than vanilla extract.

  • I add 1/2 cup of icing sugar instead of 3/4 cup. This has the right sweetness for me and those who have tried it.

  • The last change I made is that I omitted the salt. The first time I made the cheesecake, I added the salt as suggested. I found it a bit salty, so now I just leave it out.


This no-bake cheesecake is nothing short of  perfection. It definitely won't fail to please! It's easy to prepare and it's full of deliciousnessThe hardest part, though, is waiting 8 hours for it to set (but it will be worth it)!

   PRINT RECIPE   
NO BAKE CHEESECAKE WITH HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY TOPPING
(From the Kitchen of For the Love of Italian Cooking)

Crust:
  • 8 oz (250 g) graham crackers (about 15)
  • 1 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 stick (4 oz or 110 g) unsalted butter, melted
Filling:
  • 2 (8 oz each or 500 g) bars cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup (65 g) sifted confectioners' sugar (first sifted and then measured)
  • 1 cup (250 g) Greek yogurt (full-fat)
  • 2 Sachets vanilla sugar, or 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch (optional)
  • 3/4 cup (200 ml or 200 g) cold heavy cream, whipped
Topping:
  • 13-14 oz (375 g) fresh or frozen strawberries (if using frozen, don't unthaw)
  • 1/2 cup (110 g) granulated sugar
  • 1-2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
Instructions:
  1. For the crust, pulse the crackers in a food processor until finely ground (there should be about 2 cups). Then add 1 tablespoon sugar and melted butter, and pulse until combined. For those who don't have a food processor, place the crackers into a large freezer bag and gently crush them with a rolling pin. Press the crumbs at the bottom of a 10-inch (26 cm) springform pan, using the back of a spoon or the bottom of a flat-bottomed measuring cup, and about 1-1.5 inches (2.5-4 cm) up the sides of the pan. Set aside.
  2. For the filling, beat cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer set on high for 3 minutes until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar, Greek yogurt, vanilla, and cornstarch (if using), and beat until smooth. Fold in whipped heavy cream using a rubber spatula. Pour cream cheese mixture into crust and smooth top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours until firm (or overnight).
  3. For the topping, place strawberries, granulated sugar, cornstarch and water in a medium saucepan, and stir until the cornstarch has dissolved. Heat topping over medium-low heat, stirring constantly for 5 minutes until heated through (this prevents the sauce from clumping and burning). Then reduce heat to lowest setting and let cook for 10-15 minutes until it thickens. Remove from heat and let cool. Store in a container with lid.
  4. Serving: Spread strawberry topping on top of cheesecake. Carefully lift off the sides of the pan, cut into slices and enjoy!
SERVES 10-12

(No Bake Cheesecake from Everyday Food)
(Strawberry Topping developed by me)



In cucina con amore,
Rosa


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading this post! Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below. I love reading your comments. (Please note that all comments are published on approval and spam will be automatically deleted.)

Rosa G.
Hamburg, Germany
Hi! My name is Rosa and welcome to my blog! I'm a fun loving, most-of-the-time stressed mother of three small boys, and a former cubicle dweller turned pastry chef. I am an amateur blogger and food photographer and lover of good Italian food. My food is simple, fresh, and seasonal (with an occasional frozen pizza).